Translate

Saturday, May 30, 2015

God's Transformation

TrinitySundayB, Sullivan Park Care Center, May 31, 2015 by Annette Fricke
            As I stepped into the treatment room in one of the evenings of this past week, I went about my scheduled routine.  Just before any ointment was put upon my resident, we suddenly saw a bright flash, like that of a very large camera.  He says to me, “Did you see that?”  I work on the dementia unit, so questioning what one sees or hears is frequently a way to test one’s hold on reality. I confirmed that what he saw, I also saw and then we saw another.  It was the beginning of a powerful, but short-lived rain and wind storm.  The usual conversation ensued when I mentioned that my hope was that it stops by the time I get off-duty so I don’t get doused on my way to my car that sat in the parking lot below. Being the perfect gentleman, trained in the proper way from many years before me, he offered to allow me to borrow my umbrella.  I declined the offer, mentioning that I had an umbrella.  Unfortunately, my umbrella was in the trunk of my car, in a place that wasn’t of much use should the storm continue for a few more hours.  Fortunately, the storm raged for just an hour afterwards, the aftermath consisted of the gently groomed and laid beauty bark spilling out onto the sidewalk and roadway.  As I and my co-workers walked around it on my way to the parking lot to get into my car to drive home, I thought to myself that the groundskeepers would definitely need to put it back in the intended space.  Later in the week, I received the news that a portion of my home town, Rockford had a flash flood covering the street by the city park with rushing, muddy brown waters as well as running straight up to the basement windows of the Rockford United Methodist Church.  A new pastor had just moved into the parsonage and apparently reported that the toilet downstairs had regurgitated a bit.  She was told to not be concerned, the water was receding.  My thoughts went back to the flooding in Texas which was of a much greater amount and more widespread.  On Wednesday morning, a father and son came to visit during our mid-week Eucharist from Houston, at least temporarily escaping the devastating effects.
            Although in our day and age, we may dismiss such happenings in the weather as just a meteorological event, our ancestors would see these quite clearly as acts of God.  As kids, I remember my dad telling us every time it would thunder that God was bowling.  Other kids were told similar stories or explanations.  In Old Testament times, for example in Psalm 29 that I just read such nuances in the weather were seen as the almighty God at work.  God was showing us that God is the God of all creation, as well as the heavens.  God was God over people, the world, and all of the heavenly places and was throned in heaven as the King of kings.  There was no one greater than God. There are no small gods, for example one for the weather, one for the crops, one for fertility. That is what God through the prophets and preachers was trying to impress upon the people throughout the ages before Jesus, during Jesus’ stay here on earth, as well as now. Because there are no small gods, those are merely idols and things which people somehow think are more important.  We, as people want to manipulate and control, not heeding the Biblical witness to God who is in control and ultimately has the final say in what happens to us in our lives.  The minute we step out of the Biblical thinking and into our own is when we enter the world of delusion and self-deception.  God has the final say.  No one yet has been able to harness the tempestuous sea or the earthquakes and tornadoes.  We somewhat have the ability to predict when these happenings will occur, but controlling them remains elusive.  God does not take sides.  We are told that the rain falls on both the good and the evil.  Compared to God, we are small, just as a baby is small compared to fully grown adults.
            God gives us the freedom to go with God or against God, although God remains in control of our lives and all that is around us.  Within that freedom, it is by God’s grace that we can trust in God who nurtures us to become more and more transformed into what it means to be God’s people.  We are always living in the context of God’s being our refuge and strength, a very present help in times of trouble. We are admonished by the words of St. Paul, “For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption.  When we cry, ‘Abba! Father!’ it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God.”  Our greatest temptation in life is to fall back into our old selfish ways of being in the world and following after things and ideas that draw us away from God.  We must always be engaging in self-examination.  Am I listening to the voice of God in my life?  Or am I so wrapped up in my own thoughts and problems that I can’t see beyond them? The challenge of dementia is that it can overtake a person’s memory, but there can still be pockets of clarity.  One resident offers the use of his umbrella and another resident offers to pray for my safety to get home during the storm. Another way that God works is our ministry to each other, to be thankful enough for others that we show it by acts of offering practical action or praying for them. Still another question we can ask ourselves is this: how can I be the love of God to this person, at this moment?  Am I open to the Spirit of God’s movement within me?  How can I show God’s compassion to those around me?  You and I are children of God today and into eternity.  As children of God, we are joint heirs with Jesus, the same Jesus who died for us on the cross.  Through the blood of Christ, we are brothers and sisters, called to walk in the way of God.  There will continue to be challenges along the way in our attempts to be compassionate to our brothers and sisters.  The road is not an easy one.  It has many obstacles, many rocks and pot holes that threaten to steer us away from God.  Sometimes people will be mean and rude to us; they will take exception to or outright oppose our words and our ethics. Yet still, this is our calling.
            Although the traditional viewpoint of the story of Nicodemus is that he was just an inquirer of Jesus, not a real follower, there is an aspect of this story that points to promise and openness.  He is open to what Jesus has to say and later argues with the Sanhedrin against arresting Jesus, stating that Jesus had not been given a fair hearing.  So despite the supposed secrecy of his meeting with Jesus at night, he did risk his own life by defending Jesus.  He knew enough and considered what Jesus had to say that the seed of his belief in Jesus grew and caused him to grow as a believer in Jesus and Jesus’ teaching. He demonstrated openness to God that allowed him to see God’s work in Jesus, perhaps even to the point that he believed Jesus to be the incarnation of God.  Regardless, he remains an example for us to be open always to God’s transformation of us.

            

No comments: